The Exotic Car Collection
Car Art's inaugural artist! Born in Taipei, Taiwan, Wu-Huang Chin's modest nature belies his achievement and standing within the automotive design community as one the world's foremost and respected car designers.
His technical background includes a bachelor's degree in Mechanical Engineering from the National Cheng Kung University in Taiwan. He followed that with another bachelor's degree in Transportation Design from the prestigious Art Center College of Design in Pasadena, California, the foremost training center for automotive designers worldwide.
Chin - as he is simply called by friends and colleagues - was a leading designer at Mazda R&D in California. He worked on various production and advanced concept car projects, and co-designed the first generation Miata, as well as being the principal designer of the third generation RX-7. Highlights of his career at Mazda include:
- Key member of the production design team on the first generation Miata (1990)
- Principal designer of the third generation RX-7 (1993)
- Interior design for the MV-X show car - 1997 Tokyo Motor Show
- Theme development for the 'Activehicle' concept car - 1999 Tokyo Motor Show
- Interior design for the RX-8 (2003)
- Miata "Mono-Posto" and Protegé Street 2000 concepts - 1999 SEMA Show
Prior to joining Mazda, Chin was employed by Opel Design in Russelsheim, Germany and was involved in the production design of the Opel Kadett, Ascona, Rekord and Omega, as well as the 'Tech-1' and the 'Opel Junior' concept vehicles.
In 2006, Chin accepted an offer from the Yulon Groupand moved back to Taiwan as the Design studio manager for the indigenous brand Luxgen. The first two products, the Luxgen 7 MPV and the Luxgen 7 SUVhave already been launched in the Taiwanese market as he continues working onfuture Luxgen cars.
Publication and Exhibition
- Featured automotive artist in Car Styling magazine, May 1989
- Automotive art published in Sports Car International magazine, 1988 and 1989
- Artwork displayed at Concours d'Elegance, Newport Beach, California
- Artwork displayed at Eyes on the Classics, Detroit, Michigan
Chin owns a 1967 Series I Jaguar E-Type roadster, a hobby car whose design he much admires. He is also an avid modeller of WWII Luftwaffe aeroplanes.
Commission Chin to create a unique artwork or design for you!
Peter Aylett at 949-443-0500